[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2205: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2205: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
SL2College • View topic - Internship in USA
We may already have an answer for your question in our forum, please use the "Search" box on the top right-hand side to search for keywords related to your question. If you cannot find an answer, please post your question in the appropriate forum below

Internship in USA

Questions relating to Visa issues

Internship in USA

Postby dilumnavanjana » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:51 am

I'm a final year student of a Sri Lankan University in IT field & my Internship period starts by this December. While working on Open Source projects I got a chance to get to know with one of Company owner. He asked me to join with his team for my Internship period.
The company he owns is not a big one, just 4, 5 people work there in his team. So will it be possible for me to get VISA to go there for the Internship?

How is the VISA process? & When is the suitable time to apply for VISA if I want to go on December?

Thanks for your valuable time.
dilumnavanjana

Re: Internship in USA

Postby sam » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:31 am

I think the visa category is J1 Exchange Visitor. But make sure to check with the sponsoring company and see if they know anything about hiring foreign students for internships. If not, you can contact the US Embassy Colombo and see what category to apply.

There's no particular time-frame for visa applicants, but I think the available appointment times are posted month ahead. Visa interview is in 1 business day and you can collect your visa next day.

More information about J1 and requirements etc from US Embassy Colombo (this is their outsourced company for appointment scheduling). http://www.ustraveldocs.com/lk/lk-niv-typej.asp

Embassy page for visa process: http://srilanka.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visas/visa-application-process.html

The company he owns is not a big one, just 4, 5 people work there in his team. So will it be possible for me to get VISA to go there for the Internship?

It doesn't matter whether the company is big or small, if you have correct sponsoring documents as listed in the requirements, and depends on how well you do your visa interview, you may be able to get the visa.

Just remember, all the non-immigrant visa's are based on case-by-case basis, you have to prove to the consular officer during your interview that you have necessary ties to hour home country (Sri Lanka) and you are going be back after your program completion. If you need more information how to do this, let us know, I can explain a bit more.

Hope this helps
sam

Postby dilumnavanjana » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:23 am

I also think J1 is the right visa category for Internships. But while reading about J1 visa, I got to know that there’s three major parties involved: local representative in your country, visa sponsor (CIEE or other organization in US) and US government.

Who is this visa sponsor (CIEE or other organization in US)? Is it same as my employer who offered me the Internship?

If not, how can I find a visa sponsor & a local representative?
dilumnavanjana

Postby sam » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:41 am

Its the sponsoring party at US. If you get a job offer from a company in US they are the one responsible for this. Something like say a University offers a PhD position or visiting scholar position then the University is the Sponsor and then there's US government (USCIS) and the Sri Lanka Foreign ministry responsible for giving you necessary documentation.
sam

Return to USA: Visa